- Taumaihi reserve, at the end of Acacia Road
- An area along the lake outlet canal for Bay of Plenty Regional Council following the replacement of the Lake Okareka outlet pipeline
- In the reserve at the start of the Lake Okareka walkway
- Opposite Benn Road in Tikitapu Scenic Reserve - this was a joint Landcare Okareka, Rotorua Forest & Bird and Rotorua Botanical Society planting working bee of around 1000 plants provided by Bay of Plenty Regional Council and Department of Conservation
- In the reserve area near the entrance to the DOC camp, Millar Road
- Some more pohutukawa trees at Silver beach and in the area near the shade shelter.
Maintenance of earlier plantings and new plantings by LO volunteers, is ongoing throughout the year, especially when grass and weeds are growing quickly.
LO volunteers continue to undertake litter pick-ups along roadsides around the settlement as and when the need arises. It was good to see that some of the garden prunings we had noticed earlier in the year, have been removed from road sides and reserves. Keep up the good work and please don't be an untidy local.
Landcare Okareka is in the process of completing a Biodiversity Management Plan with the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, which has been worked on over a number of months. We will be very sad to say goodbye to Land Management Officer Stephanie Bathgate who has been extremely supportive of the work that LO volunteers have been doing in the Lake Okareka catchment. However, we also look forward to working with Helen Creagh from Bay of Plenty Regional Council in the coming year.
We hope that we might keep getting some amounts of rain over the next few months to help the new plantings. If you are down near the new pohutukawa trees on the Lake Okareka Walkway please feel free to look for the bucket and give the plants a drink from the lake, especially if it does get very dry.
In the meantime, I would just like to thank everyone who has come to help at any Working Bees throughout the year. Have a safe and relaxing Christmas and I wish everyone a really great 2016. Watch out for the Landcare Okareka sign boards to go up in 2016 - and please feel free to come and help.
07 3628 865