The next Green Drinks event is Tuesday 6 September, 2016.
Topic: ROTORUA MAYORAL CANDIDATES AND SUSTAINABILITY
For the upcoming Green Drinks all the Mayoral candidates for the Rotorua Lakes Council will take part in a panel discussion. This event is an opportunity for the candidates to articulate their sustainability policies and respond to questions. Each candidate will provide a five minute presentation about their sustainability policies followed by questions from the floor. The key question up for discussion is:
“What would a Council under your leadership do to protect/improve the environment and health of its residents, while at the same time enable a flourishing local economy?”
The candidates were given the following list as a prompt for possible issues they could discuss during their five minute presentation:
· Wastewater and air quality
· Waste management / recycling
· Sustainable transport - cycling, walking, public transport
· Reducing Council / District CO2 emissions , and increasing CO2 sinks (e.g. land use / farming / forestry / soil carbon)
· Healthy food-healthy people e.g. “farm-to-fridge” / “plot-to-plate” local food economy.
· Inner city revitalisation – sustainability-related topics e.g. transport/connectivity, zoning (commercial vs residential)
A detailed timetable and guidelines for this event is provided below.
The mediator for this event will be Richard Gillies from the Rotorua Green Drinks Committee.
Where & When:
We meet at the beautiful Blue Baths on the first Tuesday of every month and you are welcome to arrive anytime from 5pm onwards and join us for a drink (open bar between 5pm and 5.30pm). The presentation will start at 5.30pm and we conclude the evening at 7pm. Entry is by gold coin donation.