A huge thank you to everyone who has helped and supported the Landcare Okareka volunteer efforts, in any way over the past 12 months - as volunteers you have assisted with:
- weed control in various places around the settlement reserves and along the walkway - if it wasn't for this work the lake edge along the walkway would disappear into a forest of willow!
- planting several hundred new trees along the new walking track and in several reserves
- animal pest control, including rats, mustelids, hedgehogs, wild cats, and possums - along the Lake Okareka Walkway (especially the wetland areas) and in the riparian margin through the settlement and along the new walking track
- 69 wasp nests treated - on private land at no charge to landowners/occupiers - and in reserves, roadways and walking tracks
- bird hide maintained
- boards replaced on the boardwalk on the Lake Okareka Walkway
- brush cutting beside the boardwalk and from Silver beach to the end of the walkway (twice - as RLC failed to do it)
- maintaining track on pump station hill adjacent to Summit Road
- maintaining all plantings - at all of the reserve toilets, power pole on corner of Loop Road and Acacia Road, Lake Okareka Community Hall
- Organising and undertaking Tarawera Road transfer station planting
- Lake Okareka DOC camp and roadway clean up
- helping LOCA with the new walking track
- LO Steering Committee involved with on going liaison with Rotorua Lakes Council, Dept of Conservation Rotorua and Bay of Plenty Regional Council
This is just some of the work that Landcare Okareka volunteers have been involved with over the past 12 months.
Thank you all for all of your efforts - you have certainly made a huge contribution to the beauty and biodiversity of Lake Okareka. A very special thank you to those LO volunteers who so willingly travel out from Rotorua (or further afield) to help with various activities.
I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas with your families and friends and a safe and happy New Year.